Config Issue

Adam Taylor ataylor at ulm.edu
Mon Aug 23 20:51:46 CEST 2021

Hey All,

I have gone around and around with our FreeRadius server and I am at a lost for what is going on.

The server at some point is replacing the username at ulm.edu<mailto:username at ulm.edu> (or username at warhawks.ulm.edu<mailto:username at warhawks.ulm.edu>) with anonymous at ulm.edu<mailto:anonymous at ulm.edu> and saying "Login Ok"

Here is the thing....it's not doing this for every account...it seems to be random.  Here is the logs I see when it does it:

Aug 23 16:08:11 ulm-radius1 radiusd[17337]: (8062025)   Login OK: [laurencenr at warhawks.ulm.edu] (from client wireless port 500 cli F0-1D-BC-AB-35-67 via TLS tunnel)
Aug 23 16:08:11 ulm-radius1 radiusd[17337]: (8062025) Login OK: [anonymous at warhawks.ulm.edu] (from client wireless port 500 cli F0-1D-BC-AB-35-67)

I can't seem to find where\when it is substituting anonymous in.  Here is when someone else connects to the same SSID(uses same site config on radius):

Aug 23 18:46:45 ulm-radius1 radiusd[17337]: (8897019)   Login OK: [vuvd at warhawks.ulm.edu] (from client wireless port 256 cli 30-4B-07-5C-D9-7A via TLS tunnel)
Aug 23 18:46:45 ulm-radius1 radiusd[17337]: (8897020) Login OK: [vuvd at warhawks.ulm.edu] (from client wireless port 256 cli 30-4B-07-5C-D9-7A)

So what in the world is happening and where is anonymous slipping in from?  Since the last login is "Anonymous"...that's what the WiFi controller shows as a user name.

I can run debug and output that to you but that file gets HUGE very quickly as the server is production and quite busy.  Was hoping someone would know at least where I could look.  It's something with the inner/outer tunnels I think...I'm just not sure what/where or why.

Thanks,

Adam Taylor