FreeRadius on Debian Server

Matt Zagrabelny mzagrabe at d.umn.edu
Mon Feb 8 18:52:32 CET 2021

On Mon, Feb 8, 2021 at 11:44 AM Hassan, Hazem (Nokia - EG/Cairo) <
hazem.hassan at nokia.com> wrote:

> Hi Experts,
>
> I have just installed freeradius on Debian server :
>

> root at brlb-WM-services2:/etc/freeradius/3.0# # lsb_release -a
> No LSB modules are available.
> Distributor ID: Debian
> Release:        10
> Codename:       buster
>

> install new FreeRadius on Debian:
> #sudo apt-get install freeradius

I think the prefered method is:

apt install foo

but that is being pedantic.

> root at brlb-WM-services2:/etc/freeradius/3.0# freeradius -v
> radiusd: FreeRADIUS Version 3.0.17, for host i686-pc-linux-gnu, built on
> Apr 22 2019 at 21:23:36
> FreeRADIUS Version 3.0.17
> Copyright (C) 1999-2017 The FreeRADIUS server project and contributors
> There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A
> PARTICULAR PURPOSE
> You may redistribute copies of FreeRADIUS under the terms of the
> GNU General Public License
> For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYRIGHT
>

> And while trying to edit radius.client file under /etc/freeradius/3.0 with
> the BNG address and found that I am not able to use normal key-arrows to
> edit and even the display is not showing the full file. ...(see below)

How are you attempting to edit the file?

What text editor are you using?

> [cid:image001.jpg at 01D6FE52.CC08CAF0]
>
> Any idea ?
>
> And how to start the radius .. as mentioned above use "radiusd -X"  , but
> seems this is not working as well ?

Debian packages up the daemon as "freeradius". You can execute:

freeradius -X

> Also I ignored to install MySql and considered it is installed as part of
> " apt-get install freeradius" ?

Start with a base config and edit things after you've verified the basics
are working.

-m