reply_log not happening on failures

Dan M dan.red.beard at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 21:58:52 CET 2021

[DTM] Yes, he did.  Thanks.  Saw that after I replied to Jorge.

> > It's not entirely obvious that the main reply_log entry in post-auth wouldn't
> be universal (e.g. success AND failure) but apparently it's not
>
>   The comments in the config files make it clear when / where the "Reject"
> section is run.
[DTM] Well, clear to YOU.  You're intimate with the product.
We don't have to carry this on further but I respectfully point out for consideration in other/future comments
Since there is no section:
	Post-Auth-Type ACCEPT
I expected (and I don't think I would be alone) that the surrounding post-auth section was *always* performed and that the type section was additional.
Especially since the distribution has reply_log in the bigger section but not in the Post-Auth-Type section.
Maybe there's a reason not to log rejects that isn't obvious to someone just getting into this.

I think this is happens with the comments: sometimes they're clear but sometimes they only provide a hint at a possibility.
e.g. the comment
#  Access-Reject packets are sent through the REJECT sub-section of the
#  post-auth section.
is missing the keyword ONLY which would be clear.
Granted it doesn't say "also sent" so perhaps you see the ambiguity.

>   The good news is that v4 will have a lot of this cleaned up.
[DTM] Joy

>   Alan DeKok.

[DTM] Dan Mullen