FW: FreeRadius - Integrate FreeRadius with Google Authenticator

YewFong.Chua at fujitsu.com YewFong.Chua at fujitsu.com
Wed Jan 20 03:32:06 CET 2021

Hi Cornelius,

Thanks for your reply. Aside from Eero replied to use the following url link to configure freeradius to work with google authenticator.

https://networkjutsu.com/freeradius-google-authenticator/

May I know how do you enrol the individual user using google authenticator app to work with freeradius? As I saw, one of the article mentioning about securing SSH with Google Authenticator and I am not sure whether this is the step to enrol the individual user to use the google authenticator app as the token to enrol to the freeradius.

https://networkjutsu.com/ssh-google-authenticator/

Sorry that I am new to freeradius and would like to understand more so that we could setup the freeradius to work with google authenticator portion.

Also, I am aware that the CyberArk portion might be out of scope of the mailing list. But I would like to explain detailed, so that I could seek for your help correctly on freeradius.

So based on CyberArk portion, user will logon to a web portal via their ldap account followed by the google authenticator, OTP. In order for the user to logon successfully to CyberArk web portal.

So I am assuming that, the CyberArk will talk to the ldap server for the ldap login then once the ldap authentication matches what is in CyberArk. Then CyberArk will talk to freeradius to match the OTP that is key by user after viewing the google authenticator app. This is what generally how the CyberArk works for their web portal login using 2FA solution (LDAP and Radius Authentication).

Come back to the FreeRadius, if that is the case for CyberArk. Do we need to integrate the FreeRadius with ldap? Or we can just join the Ubuntu server to the specific domain will do?

As I have seen a few radius products like RSA and SecurEnvoy they need to use a bind account to pull user information from ldap server. Not sure whether FreeRadius also requires that?

Regards,
Yew Fong