PEAP/MSCHAPv2 with FreeRADIUS vs NPS

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Jul 13 15:06:32 CEST 2021

On Jul 13, 2021, at 8:47 AM, Joe Garcia <joe27256 at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is possibly more an NPS question than a FreeRADIUS one but
> possibly someone here might know what to do, we're using a third-party
> embedded RADIUS client to authenticate to both FreeRADIUS and NPS with
> PEAP/MSCHAPv2.

  Which one?

>  The client is sending completely standard PEAP
> messages to both, but while the exchange with FreeRADIUS works fine,
> with NPS it's rejected with either Reason Code 1/An internal error
> occurred or Reason Code 66/The user attempted to use an authentication
> method that is not enabled on the matching network policy.

  i.e. NPS gives completely useless errors.  Wonderful.

> The NPS server admins insist that it's configured correctly and claim
> that since eapol_test authenticates to it the problem is at our end.
> Whatever NPS is doing it's quite weird and required
> reverse-engineering wpa_supplicant to figure out, for example it sends
> back an undocumented vendor-specific EAP request (vendor ID =
> 311/Microsoft, vendor type = 34, data = 00 00 00 01) when we're
> expecting an MSCHAPv2 Challenge while FreeRADIUS behaves as expected.

  NPS is weird.  If the NPS admins want to do PEAP, then they should do PEAP.  Sending a different magic EAP type is just stupid.

> At the moment we're stuck with finger-pointing, from our point of view
> whatever NPS is doing isn't anything like what the spec says and
> things work fine with FreeRADIUS so NPS is broken, from their point of
> view eapol_test works with NPS and so there's something wrong with our
> client.  If this situation is ringing any bells with someone I'd be
> interested in any information we can use to move forward, and can
> provide more details on any part of the PEAP exchange if required.

  You'll need to look at the full log from eapol_test to see why it works.

  eapol_test also works with FreeRADIUS, so that's an indicator that eapol_test is good, not that NPS is good.

  I can't find anything in wpa_supplicant which handles a magic Microsoft EAP type.  So it's not clear what's going on there.