problems with connection pooling

Alen alen.kokolous at protonmail.com
Tue Jun 22 09:22:23 CEST 2021

Hello,

We have setup a freeradius server (3.0.21) that connects to Pgbouncer/Postgres database.

Every time the NAS connects to the freeradius server, 3-4 new connections are opened up in the database until it runs out and stalls. Does Freeradius use some sort of connection pooling? I have a suspicion that could be related to the thread pool as defined below:

radiusd.conf:
thread pool {
start_servers = 5
max_servers = 32
min_spare_servers = 3
max_spare_servers = 10
max_requests_per_server = 0
auto_limit_acct = no
}

1) Is there somewhere I can make Freeradius reuse existing connections instead of creating new connections whenever the NAS connects to it?

2) Can the number of connections created by Freeradius be controlled in any config?

Thanks,
Alen