How to bind-map 802.1X identity to DHCP-provided IP address ?

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Mar 5 17:10:07 CET 2021

On Mar 5, 2021, at 10:50 AM, Olivier <oza.4h07 at gmail.com> wrote:

> For logging purpose in MSCHAPv2 WiFi environment, I would like to enforce
> or log a 802.1X ID-to-IP address map.

  What does that mean?  Details matter here.

> 1. What are the available options to implement this ?
> I'm daily using ISC DHCP or Dnsmasq for implementing DHCP services but I
> wouldn't hesitate to use something (Freeradius, ISC Kea, whatever, ..) if
> that helped.

  ISC and Kea are both pretty bare-bones DHCP servers.  They have very limited support for policies.  So you can't correlate RADIUS identities with DHCP address assignments.

  Of course, FreeRADIUS can do this...

> 2. I've read that DHCP Option 82 suboptions could be used with DHCP Relay
> to inject in DHCP requests some additional data but I fail to see how
> 802.1X could be part of this injected data.

  It can't be.

  So what do you want to do?  Ensure the User-Name X is assigned IP address Y?

  The simple thing is to just configure FreeRADIUS to do that.  You can use IP pools, and write policy checks.

  Then, configure FreeRADIUS as a DHCP server, and do lookups in the IP pools. :)