Failed to start FreeRadius without Error Code

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue May 11 15:38:01 CEST 2021

On May 11, 2021, at 9:16 AM, SImon Dankau <SDankau at rf-computer.de> wrote:
> we try to differentiate the Radius configuration between WLAN and VPN. The same groups should be queried in both configurations. I know it works because the first part of the configuration for the WLAN is already in use on a productive server and it works. To test the second part of the configuration and the interaction with the first part, the configuration is tested on a test environment. Port 1812 is used by Radius, that much I know. It was unclear whether Radius would use the port itself or whether another service would come before it.

  I have no idea what that means.  There's no other service which "comes before" another one.

> There is only one Radius configuration in our system, so a 2nd Radius server should be excluded. I would not rule out the possibility that the configuration was mixed up during the tests, but in between I re-imported the configuration files from the production environment. I copied the default configuration and adjusted it. Two different network areas with two different virtual servers are entered in the clients.conf file. One network for the access points (WiFi) and one network for the VPN machines. My tests so far: - FreeRadius-Server with WiFi configuration => works - FreeRadius-Server with VPN configuration => works partly, some issues with the port forwarding on our firewall - freshly installed FreeRadius-Server with WiFi and VPN configuration => does not work - changing the listen port in the virtual server to another port changes nothing

  That's all nice, but does the bare minimum to answer my question.

  "I did a bunch of stuff.  Some works, some doesn't"

  What do you think we can do with that information?

> I don't know all of the possible debug commands, so please tell me which one you need.

  We need the debug output from the server, when it starts and runs.  NOT when it fails to run because there's already another server listening on port 1812.