How do I see if the user has disconnected?

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Sat May 15 19:59:28 CEST 2021

On May 15, 2021, at 1:06 PM, Mark Antony <mark.antony.4 at protonmail.com> wrote:

>> What does that mean? Is your NAS behind a flaky internet connection?
>
> Sort of. The NAS is OpenVPN (Software), mobile phones that connect to it create the user-sessions. Mobile phones tend to loose connection.

  Then the module phones connection goes away.  The NAS connection doesn't go away.

  Your questions are vague, and use inconsistent / wrong terminology.  This makes it difficult to help you.

>> If the user goes away, the NAS is supposed to sent an accounting packet which says "session is stopped". If the NAS doesn't do that, then throw it in the garbage, and buy one that works.
>
> Not every NAS is a piece of hardware. (see above)

  Did I say "the NAS is always hardware" ?

  The problem is that when you use confusing terminology, I have no idea what you mean.  Please don't use that as an excuse to explain basic concepts to someone who's been doing RADIUS for ~25 years.  It's not polite.

> But what you have said above, gave me an idea to double check the timeout of OpenVPN. It is indeed a tad longer than the timeout of Acct-Interim-Interval on Freeradius.

  That's irrelevant.

>  In other words after Freeradius triggers an update via Acct-Interim-Interval, the NAS is still connected and hasn't declared the timeout yet. That discrepancy threw me off.

  No, FreeRADIUS does not trigger an update.  That's not how RADIUS works.

> Out of curiosity when you say see 'cron', do you mean a plain crontab in Linux or a specific functionality of Freeradius?

  I mean "cron".

  Since there's no mention of "cron" in the FreeRADIUS documentation, I can't possibly mean "cron functionality of FreeRADIUS".