global clients ignored in virtual server since 3.0.22?

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu May 20 12:57:08 CEST 2021

On May 20, 2021, at 4:28 AM, Enno Gröper <enno.groeper at charite.de> wrote:
> since the update from 3.0.19 to 3.0.22 we have problems with our clients configured using sql. They get ignored by the virtual servers.

  Are you also adding clients to a particular virtual server?

  Prior to 3.0.22, clients read from SQL would not get assigned to a virtual server correctly, even if there was a "server" column in the NAS table.

  We've added tests to ensure that SQL clients will continue to work as documented.

> Adding to the global list seems to work fine:
>
> rlm_sql (sql): Adding client 127.0.0.2 (testclient) to global clients list
> rlm_sql (127.0.0.2): Client "testclient" (sql) added
> rlm_sql (sql): Adding client 127.0.0.3 (testclient) to global clients list
> rlm_sql (127.0.0.3): Client "testclient" (sql) added
> rlm_sql (sql): Adding client 127.0.0.4 (testclient) to global clients list
> rlm_sql (127.0.0.4): Client "testclient" (sql) added
>

> But the request of these clients are ignored:
>
> Ignoring request to auth address * port 1812 bound to server default from unknown client 127.0.0.4 port 35289 proto udp
> Ready to process requests
> Ignoring request to auth address * port 1812 bound to server default from unknown client 127.0.0.3 port 43190 proto udp
> Ready to process requests
>

> Shouldn't global clients be used in every virtual server?

  No.

  If you have clients which are tied to a virtual server, then only those clients will be used for that virtual server.  It will NOT fall back to finding clients from the global list.