eduroam howto log failure mschapv2

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri May 28 15:09:47 CEST 2021

On May 28, 2021, at 3:26 AM, Francesco Malvezzi via Freeradius-Users <freeradius-users at lists.freeradius.org> wrote:
> We suppose that some clients prompt users to re-insert password a few
> times after password failure: if the user gives up and interrupts the
> flow, nothing is logged on the server side.

  i.e. if the server doesn't receive any packets, it doesn't log anything.

  Yes, this is what happens.

> Can you help me to make the help desk happy by collecting also those logs?

  It's difficult to get logs from "nothing happened".

> Can you suggest me a strategy? Do I need to log the connect packet

  If you want

> (does it include the username?)?

  What does the debug output say?

> Is it possible to get failure log from
> mschap? Can you share details?

  The debug output and the Module-Failure-Message attribute contain all the information you need.

  But there *won't* be any debug output for "the client never sent me a packet".  That's a lot harder to do.