sql ip pool module assign IP 0.0.0.0 to users

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Nov 19 13:47:44 CET 2021

On Nov 19, 2021, at 5:03 AM, Mirko Alberio via Freeradius-Users <freeradius-users at lists.freeradius.org> wrote:
> We have the following problem:
>
> When many of out NAS (which are Wireless PPPOE POPs) that are Mikrotik based are rebooted (for maintanance, updates or maybe outages) and then simultaneously connect to our Freeradius instance to authenticate again we are experiencing the following rows in the logs:
>
> Thu Nov 18 06:25:06 2021 : Error: Received conflicting packet from client OpenFiber port 50242 - ID: 114 due to unfinished request.  Giving up on old request.
> Thu Nov 18 06:25:06 2021 : Error: Received conflicting packet from client  port 33577 - ID: 70 due to unfinished request.  Giving up on old request.
> Thu Nov 18 06:25:06 2021 : Error: Received conflicting packet from client  port 37882 - ID: 21 due to unfinished request.  Giving up on old request.
> Thu Nov 18 06:25:06 2021 : Error: Received conflicting packet from client  port 50131 - ID: 95 due to unfinished request.  Giving up on old request.
> Thu Nov 18 06:25:06 2021 : Error: Received conflicting packet from client  port 40360 - ID: 211 due to unfinished request.  Giving up on old request.
> Thu Nov 18 06:25:06 2021 : WARNING: (8349606) WARNING: Module rlm_sql became unblocked
> Thu Nov 18 06:25:06 2021 : WARNING: (8349607) WARNING: Module rlm_sql became unblocked

  This means that your SQL server can't keep up with the load.  Add more CPU / disk / memory / replicas in order to fix it.

  No amount of poking FreeRADIUS will make your SQL server run faster.

> And the customers PPPOE sessions are getting an assigned IP = 0.0.0.0 instead of one of the IP pool.

  The SQL IP pool module does not assign IP of 0.0.0.0 when the SQL server is down.  Either you updated the FreeRADIUS configuration to do that, or FreeRADIUS is *not* returning an IP, and then the NAS is assigning that address itself.

> We have some doubts that this could happen because the POPs are not sending the correct AccTerminate packets when rebooting, so it is not freeing up the pools. And also those sessions are not recognized as active because we are using NAS PORT ID as pool key and it changes, maybe would be better tu user the Mac Address as key?

  It's best to make the SQL databases run faster.

  If the POPs aren't sending Accounting-On when rebooting, then fix them so that they do that.  This is a separate issue, but still a problem.

> A final note: our IP pool is nearly exhausted, we have about 30 free IPs. Could this also give problems?

  That shouldn't be a problem, unless all of the IPs are used.  The server should then *reject* the users requests, as IPs cannot be allocated.