FreeRADIUS modules python vs python3

Matthew Newton mcn at freeradius.org
Tue Nov 23 23:35:32 CET 2021

On 23/11/2021 22:20, Alan DeKok wrote:
> On Nov 23, 2021, at 5:10 PM, Jonathan Davis <jonathan at prioritycolo.com> wrote:
>> However I am confused about the information at https://freeradius.org/modules/
>>
>> - rlm_python3 is listed as obsolete with the view documentation link taking you to https://networkradius.com/doc/current/raddb/mods-available/home.html where there is neither python or python3
>> - rlm_python is listed as not obsolete, with "Allows the server to call a persistent, embedded Python script."
>
>    Yeah, that's out of date.  We'll have to update it.

Actually it's an artefact of how the web site is generated.

The module information comes from the master branch. The metadata has
never been added to v3 AFAIK.

Most cases it's fine as the modules do the same thing, or don't exist in
one or the other version. Python is one of those few where the naming
and behaviour are subtly different between v3 and v4.

I think this is the first question about it in 4 years since it's been up...

>> Which is true, there is no rlm_python3.so that exists under /usr/lib64/freeradius/
>
>    That isn't in the v3 packages.  We'll update it.

Saw this last week and looked at updating it. Just very busy right now.
Hopefully later this week.

I need to be careful that adding python3 lib dependencies to the v3
freeradius package doesn't cause unexpected problems, especially for
older systems. (Adding the module itself to the package is a noop unless
it's used in the config, so that side is safe at least).

--
Matthew