Radsec Regression Alpine 3.14

Emile Swarts emile.swarts123 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 14:12:38 CEST 2021

I recently upgraded Alpine from v3.12 to v3.14.

Noticed that Radsec stopped working, and the only error message I get in
the server logs is "(0) FAILED in TLS handshake receive". Switching back to
v3.12 fixes the issue and the AP is able to establish the Radsec tunnel and
do the authentication.

I'm currently looking through all the dependencies that upgraded as part of
the OS upgrade but it's difficult to pinpoint which one broke Radsec. Noted
that openssl has stayed on the same version.

FreeRadius versions went from:
freeradius-lib-3.0.21-r3
freeradius-3.0.21-r3
freeradius-eap-3.0.21-r3

To:
freeradius-lib-3.0.23-r0
freeradius-3.0.23-r0
freeradius-eap-3.0.23-r0

The rest of the package upgrades can be found here:
https://gist.github.com/emileswarts/fd7d46556eacac096d318170aea7a19d

Does anyone have any pointers on how to narrow down this bug?

Thanks,
Emile