Suggestion for error message verbosity improvement

Stefan Winter stefan.winter at restena.lu
Wed Mar 16 08:22:38 UTC 2022

Hello,

Regarding this message in radius.log:

Info: Dropping packet without response because of error: Received packet
from A.B.C.D with invalid Message-Authenticator!  (Shared secret is
incorrect.)

I would like to suggest to include the name of the client stanza that
received the packet. This makes it easier to identify the source in some
scenarios. In my case, on a server that has many virtual servers, each
listening on individual ports, with overlapping client subnet
definitions (i.e. the server's port number that was contacted is
important to identify the listen config; something which the client name
would give away).

Alternatively, adding just the port number that the packet was received
on would also be sufficient. I suggest the client name by preference
because that makes the reporting in line with other errors (e.g. "Login
incorrect (Home Server failed to respond): [abc] (from client
CLIENTS_61783_5-20..."

IOW, it would be nice if the error message above could read

Info: Dropping packet without response because of error: Received packet
from A.B.C.D with invalid Message-Authenticator! *(from client
CLIENTS_61783_5-20)* (Shared secret is incorrect.)

or

Info: Dropping packet without response because of error: Received packet
from A.B.C.D *on port 61783* with invalid Message-Authenticator!
(Shared secret is incorrect.)

Greetings,

Stefan Winter

--
This email may contain information for limited distribution only, please treat accordingly.

Fondation Restena, Stefan WINTER
Chief Technology Officer
2, avenue de l'Université
L-4365 Esch-sur-Alzette