memory leaks and other problems with rlm_ippool

Peter Nixon listuser at peternixon.net
Wed Aug 24 16:40:53 CEST 2005

Hi Guys

I am consistently finding that if you create more than one IP Pool bigger
than a class B network that FreeRADIUS fails to start with an error saying
that it cannot fork. It can however be run in debug mode with this config.
I have tested this on a number of different servers with a number of
different versions of FreeRADIUS and on SUSE Linux Enterprise 9, SUSE Pro
9.2, SUSE Pro 9.3 and some random version of Turbo Linux that a customer
had.

Also, one customer who had only a single class B IP Pool with about 10,000
clients connecting and disconnecting on a regular basis (Around 300 Auth
requests and associated Accounting packets per minute between 8am and
midnight) is seeing their FreeRADIUS grow over the course of a couple of
days until the Linux OOM killer kills it. (Making their customers very
unhappy until they restart their server) Their server is fully patched
SLES9 running FreeRADIUS 1.0.4

Does anyone have any ideas? Surely someone else must have seen these
problems. I can't be the only person running multiple, large IP Pools...

--

Peter Nixon
http://www.peternixon.net/