Copyright infringement and GPL violation in tinypeap

Paul Hampson Paul.Hampson at PObox.com
Thu Jun 9 08:19:59 CEST 2005

On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 01:13:40AM -0400, Dean Anderson wrote:
> Alan, you should be sure to review the instructions at
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-violation.html

> I suggest notifying GNU, even though it isn't GNU code. I don't know if
> GNU will offer legal assistance but I suggest letting them know.

> You should pretty quickly retain counsel, at least to discuss your
> approach. Email notifications are a good measure but not necessarilly
> official notice. Its easy to ignore email.

The guys at http://www.softwarefreedom.org/ would probably good people
to ask. Eben Moglen gave a keynote at linux.conf.au 2005 and this sounds
like the sort of thing they like to get involved in. If I understood
correctly, they have large companies paying for them to exist so they
can take on things like this without cost for FOSS software projects.

Of course, that's only if legal counsel is needed and not already
retained. ^_^

(I thought the original email looked fine, but thought I'd chime in
before anyone suggests that legal representation is too costly.)

--
Paul "TBBle" Hampson, on an alternate email client.