Couldn't stop Freeradius server on Debian!!

Peter Nixon listuser at peternixon.net
Tue Apr 4 19:38:07 CEST 2006

On Tue 04 Apr 2006 20:17, lmyho wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I installed freeradius 1.1.0-1 on a debian system (2.6.15-1-686, etch) 2
> days ago, via "aptitude install".  The radius server started well
> automatically and each time when the system booting. But when I wanted to
> stop it for some test on my modified configuration files, I got trouble to
> stop the server!  I tried to stop the server using command: 'freeradius
> stop'

"/etc/init.d/freeradius stop" works fine on Debian as you would expect. You
appear to be directly calling the freeradius binary however which unlike the
init script doesn't have a stop (or start) option.

Am I correct in saying that you are fairly new to linux/unix? This is pretty
standard for most systems..

> ('radiusd' command doesn't work on this debian system - anyone knows
> why this behavior??)

Debian rename the binary to fit with Debian packaging rules.

> But so werid, no matter what command I gave, with parameter
> stop|start|restart or even just a question mark(?), the server ALWAYS goes
> to START again!! even though from the /etc/init.d/freeradius I can read
> that the 'stop' param should stop the server!  Can anyone tell me why the
> command doesn't stop the server and how should I stop it from command
> line??

See above.

> The log file shows entries like this for each of my trying, even the
> command given was to "stop" it:
>
> Tue Apr  4 01:14:13 2006 : Info: Using deprecated naslist file.  Support
> for this will go away soon.
> Tue Apr  4 01:14:13 2006 : Error: There appears to be another RADIUS server
> running on the authenticat
>
> What is happenning here?

See above.

> Also, from the log file I noticed: for each system automatically started
> freeradius server deamon, it is "Using deprecated naslist file"! The log
> entries show like this:
>
> Fri Mar 31 13:51:54 2006 : Info: Using deprecated naslist file.  Support
> for this will go away soon.
> Fri Mar 31 13:51:54 2006 : Info: rlm_exec: Wait=yes but no output defined.
> Did you mean output=none?
> Fri Mar 31 13:51:55 2006 : Info: Ready to process requests.
>
> Can anyone tell me what is happenning here?

Everything is working as expected.

> Why it keeps using the deprecating naslist file?

Because it exists.

> But the installed radiusd.conf file doesn't show
> the server will use the naslist file at all! How can I stop the server to
> use this deprecating file?

delete it (rm /etc/freeradius/naslist)

> Also what does the 2nd line of the above log entries mean?

Ignore it.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated!  I am very much obliged for any of
> your help!!  Thanks a lot!!

You're welcome.. I suggest you read up a little on linux init scripts however,
and things will become clearer.

--

Peter Nixon
http://www.peternixon.net/