RFC compliance in sanitizing Access-Reject responses

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Aug 23 19:39:30 CEST 2006

Mike <needacoder at gmail.com> wrote:
>   First, thank you for an excellent server.  Within a few hours we
> went from google-ing for a radius server to having a proxy up which
> does (almost) everything we needed to make a third party device/server
> learn many cool new tricks.

  That's nice to hear.

>   I would like to suggest at least two small changes to make
> freeradius an even better tool than it already is.  The first is
> really simple and would take practically no work at all: can we please
> have a log message here that notifies the user of this operation when
> running with -X?

  That's not a bad idea.  Even better, have module do for
Access-Reject *and* Accounting-Response, and document what it does.

>   The second request is also trivial to implement: make the above code
> configurable/optional.  Yes, there is a great deal of strength and
> respect in supporting the RFC to the dot - and without a doubt, that
> should be the default out-of-the-box configuration.  But not all
> devices are  created equal - and in my case, as I'm sure in some
> others, useful information is passed in the Access-Reject message in
> attributes other than Reply-Message.

  I agree.  The goal of the server is to have as much configurable as
possible.

  The only things that are ot open for configuration are security
issues that will destory your network if configured incorrectly.

>   The third "request" or "option" perhaps, is a bit more complex.  I
> would propose that the above code is actually a hack to comply with
> RFC, and that the appropriate mechanism of accomplishing this effect
> is through an appropriate set of attribute filters (enabled by
> default).

  That's probably the best response.  When the server was originally
written, there wasn't an "attr_filter" module, so that wasn't an
option.

  We'll put this on the roadmap for 2.0.

>   Again, thanks for a great server.  The above "hickup" is hardly
> worth mentioning when compared to the overall experience we've had in
> setting up the proxy and getting it to do what we want.

  That's good to hear.