Help to debugging the server using GDb

Frank Cusack fcusack at fcusack.com
Thu Aug 24 03:48:16 CEST 2006

On August 23, 2006 11:49:34 PM +0200 Michael Joosten <michael.joosten at c-lab.de> wrote:
> Or, which is usually better, let radiusd initialize itself such that all required modules and
> functions are loaded:
>
> $gdb /usr/local/bin/radiusd
> run -XA
> Listening on authentication *:1812
> Listening on accounting *:1813
> Ready to process requests.
>  ^C (yes, Control-C)
> break <your entry function for debugging>

You don't have to interrupt after modules are loaded if you are running
a sufficiently recent gdb (6.2+ I think, maybe 6.1) which if a function
is not found will defer setting the breakpoint until a shared library
is loaded which contains that function; instead just set the breakpoint
when you start gdb, like you normally would.

Older gdb's have the option to break on shared library loads so you
can set the breakpoints then.

-frank