SQL Cleanups (Was: Duplicate requests in a session)

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Thu Aug 31 17:48:14 CEST 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-31 at 07:33 -0400, Alan DeKok wrote:
> Peter Nixon <listuser at peternixon.net> wrote:
> > This makes sense to me. I think it should be for 2.0 though as changing the
> > name of fields in a DB schema will break compatibility.
>
>   I'm not set on changing the name.  If it's a problem, we can leave
> it as-is.
>
> > One of my pet peeves is that the mysql config file is called "sql.conf" which
> > tends to confuse non-mysql users the first time around. This should be
> > renamed to mysql.conf (oraclesql.conf should be renamed to oracle.conf also)
>
>   Let's fix that.
>
> > I think it may even be a good idea to make a raddb/sql/*.conf
> > structure,= either that or maybe we should name the files
> > sql.mysql.conf, sql.postgresl.conf etc. This then allows
> > sqlippool.mysql.conf also.  (Alternatively the sqlipool config
> > should go inside the existing sql config files.)
>
>   Sure.  We can also split the sql.conf file into:
>
>   sql.conf - global SQL things to the site, which does
>      driver = postgresql
>      trace files...
>      $INCLUDE sql/postgresql.conf
>
>   for any postgres-specific things.

That sounds interesting. It would likely make it easier to provide
some alternate configuration files for the different types of
radius installs like :

sql/postgresql-dialup.conf
sql/postgresql-wireless.conf
sql/postgresql-voip.conf

Providing these along with the appropriate schema files, could
significantly reduce the problems for new adopters. I believe
most of these versions are available in scattered locations
around the net. I am only doing using it for dialup, so I have
not done much research into the other configs.

>   We can nuke the "rlm_sql" prefix from the "driver" config item, and
> update the code to accept one or the other.
>
> > Also, before a 2.0 release I would like to sit down and bring the
> > queries for the different SQL variants as close together as
> > possible as they have gradually diverged over the last few
> > years. (Much of it my fault as I have been continually adding new
> > features to the postgresql schema :-)
>
>   Sounds good to me.

Like Peter, I have been focused on PostgreSQL development, and
my last significant contributions was getting the PostgreSQL
equivalent to the MySQL, but that was quite a long time ago.
I have also been developing another administration interface,
but need to clean it up. Since I only had 3 weeks to develop it,
I combined some code written for other purposes to speed the
development, and want to rework what I have written now that
the initial crunch is over. There are also some additional
features I want to add that need to be fleshed out.

Q: Is there a time frame to get submissions in for inclusion
into 2.0 ?