Release 1.1.1 TODO

Nicolas Baradakis nbk at sitadelle.com
Fri Feb 10 11:21:05 CET 2006

Alan DeKok wrote:

> Nicolas Baradakis <nbk at sitadelle.com> wrote:
> > As Paul noted, the build produces a non-redistributable binary
> > package, but it's a lot better than not working at all :)
>
>   I have no objection to updating the license to allow linking against
> OpenSSL.
>
>   Also, the GPL *does* allow this, if OpenSSL is already installed on
> your system.  As proof, it's possible to distribut Solaris binaries of
> GPL'd packages, even though Solaris libc isn't GPL'd.

Perhaps it's not a problem with the GPL, but with OpenSSL license
itself. In such case it'd be no use to update the FreeRADIUS
license. (unless we change it completely)

Honestly I don't know why Debian doesn't distribute packages linked
against OpenSSL. I'll have to look in the Debian policy manual to find
out the reasons.

I also have concerns about a license modification. If we stick to a
plain GPL license we are in a very common situation, and it is clear
when a company asks how it could contribute, and when a licence
violation occurs. (we also can ask the FSF for assistance as we
are GPL) If we create a "FreeRADIUS license", it'll make things
more confusing.

In short, I prefer a lot a debian patch for gnuTLS than a license
modification. As gnuTLS has an OpenSSL compatibility layer, perhaps
it's not hard to do.

--
Nicolas Baradakis