Issues with snmp based monitoring of FreeRADIUS server.

Vishwanath Srikant Pattanshetti vspattanshetti at airvananet.com
Mon Jan 2 11:54:08 CET 2006

Hi

I am trying to use SNMP to monitor FreeRadius 1.0.4 server installed on
a solaris 10 machine.

When I run the configure scripts, I see error message for snmp.h, asn1.h
and snmp_impl.h saying either update these header files or compile with

--enable-ucd-snmp-compatibility option. I searched the mailing list and
found that I can comment out the ifdef is these header files, which
include the net-snmp header files.

I made those changes and now when I run the configure script the I get
following error message in config.log file:

configure:8336: checking for asn1.h,snmp.h,snmp_impl.h

configure:8364: gcc -c -g -O2 -D_REENTRANT -D_POSIX_PTHREAD_SEMANTICS
-DOPENSSL_

NO_KRB5   -Wall -D_GNU_SOURCE -DNDEBUG  conftest.c 1>&5

configure: In function `main':

configure:8360: warning: unused variable `a'

configure:8533: checking for snmp_build_var_op in -lsnmp

configure:8545: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -D_REENTRANT
-D_POSIX_PTHREAD_SEMANTICS -

DOPENSSL_NO_KRB5   -Wall -D_GNU_SOURCE -DNDEBUG   conftest.c -lnsl
-lresolv -lso

cket -lposix4  -lpthread -lcrypto -lssl -lsnmp 1>&5

ld: fatal: library -lsnmp: not found

ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to conftest

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

configure: failed program was:

#line 8538 "configure"

#include "confdefs.h"

extern char snmp_build_var_op();

int main() {

 snmp_build_var_op()

; return 0; }

configure:8567: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -D_REENTRANT
-D_POSIX_PTHREAD_SEMANTICS -DOPENSSL_NO_KRB5   -

Wall -D_GNU_SOURCE -DNDEBUG   conftest.c -lnsl -lresolv -lsocket
-lposix4  -lpthread -lcrypto -lssl

-L/usr/lib -lsnmp 1>&5

ld: fatal: library -lsnmp: not found

ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to conftest

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

configure: failed program was:

#line 8560 "configure"

#include "confdefs.h"

extern char snmp_build_var_op();

int main() {

 snmp_build_var_op()

; return 0; }

configure:8589: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -D_REENTRANT
-D_POSIX_PTHREAD_SEMANTICS -DOPENSSL_NO_KRB5   -

Wall -D_GNU_SOURCE -DNDEBUG   conftest.c -lnsl -lresolv -lsocket
-lposix4  -lpthread -lcrypto -lssl

-L/usr/lib -lsnmp -lcrypto 1>&5

ld: fatal: library -lsnmp: not found

ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to conftest

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

configure: failed program was:

#line 8582 "configure"

#include "confdefs.h"

extern char snmp_build_var_op();

int main() {

 snmp_build_var_op()

; return 0; }

configure:8611: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -D_REENTRANT
-D_POSIX_PTHREAD_SEMANTICS -DOPENSSL_NO_KRB5   -

Wall -D_GNU_SOURCE -DNDEBUG   conftest.c -lnsl -lresolv -lsocket
-lposix4  -lpthread -lcrypto -lssl

-L/usr/lib -lsnmp -lcrypto -lkstat 1>&5

ld: fatal: library -lsnmp: not found

ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to conftest

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

configure: failed program was:

#line 8604 "configure"

#include "confdefs.h"

extern char snmp_build_var_op();

int main() {

 snmp_build_var_op()

; return 0; }

configure:8567: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -D_REENTRANT
-D_POSIX_PTHREAD_SEMANTICS -DOPENSSL_NO_KRB5   -

Wall -D_GNU_SOURCE -DNDEBUG   conftest.c -lnsl -lresolv -lsocket
-lposix4  -lpthread -lcrypto -lssl

-L/usr/local/lib -lsnmp 1>&5

ld: fatal: library -lsnmp: not found

ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to conftest

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

configure: failed program was:

#line 8560 "configure"

#include "confdefs.h"

extern char snmp_build_var_op();

int main() {

 snmp_build_var_op()

; return 0; }

There are lots of such errors.

I have following .so files in /usr/sfw/lib directory.

libnetsnmp.so

libnetsnmpagent.so

libnetsnmphelpers.so

libnetsnmpmibs.so

snmp/lib/libnetsnmp.so

And the /usr/sfw/lib directory is in both PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH
variables.

Can some one please tell me what do I do to get this damn thing working.
Any pointers/procedures to get snmp based monitoring of radius server up
is r most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

-Vishwa.