server cycles and memory utilization blamed on large radutmp radwtmp

Alan DeKok aland at ox.org
Wed Jan 25 22:51:17 CET 2006

Joe Maimon <jmaimon at ttec.com> wrote:
> rlm_radutmp.c contains loops that read the entire file sizeof(struct
> radutmp) bytes at a time.

  Yeah, it's pretty bad.  See rlm_radutmp2.c for a possible
replacement.  It should build, and I did some testing on it a while back.

> What do you think of threads that undertake possibly open-ended time
> actions, should they timestamp them and check that they are not
> exceeding max_request_time?

  The server core does that.  That's why you're getting core dumps
where "request" is NULL when it should be impossible for it to be
NULL.  The request is being deleted, as it's locked.

> Maybe this should be done with signals and modules would register
> allocations that would be cleaned up from the signal handler whenever
> time ran out on the request?

  I don't think that would help.