ntpasswd not UTF-8 safe?

Alan DeKok aland at nitros9.org
Tue Jul 25 12:28:47 CEST 2006

Josh Howlett <josh.howlett at bristol.ac.uk> wrote:
> >   As  for  UTF-8  - yes, it's possible and it's easy to implement
> > translation  from  UTF-8 to unicode within ntpwdhash,
>
> Is iconv() the best approach?

  Probably.

> > but it's not clear
> > how to store and mark UTF-8 attributes within FreeRADIUS.
>
> Okay, but in the context of rlm_mschap only, we don't have to worry
> about this - right?

  If the password is UTF-8, that has to be handled by rlm_mschap.

  For the rest, the server handles UTF-8 through the simple expedient
of treating attributes like C strings.  UTF-8 is backwards compatible
with ASCII, so that works.

  i.e. I've successfully done authenticatin with a User-Name as
chinese UTF-8 characters I pulled off of the net.  I have no idea what
they meant, but authentication worked, and the text in the terminal
looked the same as from the web page with the chinese characters.