AcctStopDelay

Peter Nixon listuser at peternixon.net
Mon Mar 6 23:37:59 CET 2006

Does anyone disagree that AcctStopDelay should always equal 0 in these
queries?

    accounting_onoff_query = "UPDATE ${acct_table1} \
        SET AcctStopTime = (now() - '%{Acct-Delay-Time:-0}'::interval), \
        AcctSessionTime = (EXTRACT(EPOCH FROM(now()::timestamp with time zone
- AcctStartTime::timestamp with time zone -
'%{Acct-Delay-Time:-0}'::interval)))::BIGINT, \
        AcctTerminateCause='%{Acct-Terminate-Cause}', AcctStopDelay =
'%{Acct-Delay-Time:-0}' \
        WHERE AcctSessionTime IS NULL AND AcctStopTime IS NULL AND
NASIPAddress= '%{NAS-IP-Address}' AND AcctStartTime <= now()"

    accounting_update_query = "UPDATE ${acct_table1} \
        SET FramedIPAddress = NULLIF('%{Framed-IP-Address}', '')::inet, \
        AcctSessionTime = (EXTRACT(EPOCH FROM(now()::timestamp with time zone
- AcctStartTime::timestamp with time zone - '%{Acct-Delay-Time:-0
}'::interval)))::BIGINT, \
                AcctInputOctets = (('%{Acct-Input-Gigawords:-0}'::bigint <<
32) + '%{Acct-Input-Octets:-0}'::bigint), \
                AcctOutputOctets = (('%{Acct-Output-Gigawords:-0}'::bigint <<
32) + '%{Acct-Output-Octets:-0}'::bigint) \
        WHERE AcctSessionId = '%{Acct-Session-Id}' AND UserName =
'%{SQL-User-Name}' \
        AND NASIPAddress= '%{NAS-IP-Address}' AND AcctStopTime IS NULL"

Note: I am the one who added originally modified the Postgres query to make
AcctSessionTime not include Acct-Delay-Time in the first place to save post
calculation in reports. (The default queries for other DBs do not do this
currently)

It also occurs to me that now() should probably be %S as now() will skew if
the database is lagged or queries are being relayed somewhere else..

I guess the question is what is it that we want to default DB queries to do.
Should they be faithfully logging the received radius accounting as closely
as possible or should they be trying to give as correct a CDR as possible
(Which is probably what the end user wants)

In my opinion doing a little extra arithmetic upon reception of a packet is a
fair tradeoff if it lets the user do a simple "select * from radacct" or
something to that effect when they need to do reporting (Instead of trying to
calculate out delay etc each time they do the report.)

--

Peter Nixon
http://www.peternixon.net/