Reemission bug in multi-threaded mode + FreeRADIUS 2.0 roadmap questions

Kostas Kalevras kkalev at noc.ntua.gr
Wed Nov 15 11:16:49 CET 2006

Alan DeKok wrote:

>Chaigneau Nicolas <chaigneaun at yahoo.fr> wrote:
>

>>Setting up the serveur in synchronous mode is much simpler, although
>>I think we would lose a few features that we need.
>>

>  No.
>

>>Detecting a proxy server is dead and failover to a backup server is
>>important to us. In the current 1.1.3 version, failover is possible
>>only in asynchronous mode. Will failover still be possible in the
>>next release of FreeRADIUS ?
>>

>  Yes.
>

>>Also, we need to detect that a given proxied request did not receive
>>any response, in order to send back a specific response to the NAS
>>(Reject or Accept). Would it be possible in synchronous mode ?
>>

>  Not right now.  As always, patches are welcome.
>

>>Will the possibility to choose between synchronous and asynchronous
>>remain in the CVS head, or do you plan to completely remove
>>asynchronous mode ?
>>

>  The asynchronous code has already been removed in the CVS head.
>

>>One more point about synchronous mode : currently, timeout and
>>retries parameters are global to FreeRADIUS in the "proxy server"
>>configuration section.
>>

>  Those configurations have been removed in the CVS head.
>

>>If the retransmission mode is synchronous, wouldn't these parameters
>>have to be defined per NAS, for instance in the clients.conf file ?
>>

>  No.  The settings are on the *NAS*, not in the clients.conf file on
>the server.  If you want to change the settings log into the NAS.

Let me illustrate our situation and let's see if the same can be
achieved in synchronous mode. We operate a proxy radius for a DSL
service in Greece.
For each realm (around 5 realms) we maintain a primary and a backup
radius server. What we don't want to happen is for the *NAS* to mark the
*proxy* radius dead because one home proxy is not responding. That's
where asynchronous mode comes useful. We set retry_delay * retry_times *
number of home servers < retry_delay * retry_times on the NAS so that we
can mark home servers and realms dead *before* the NAS marks the whole
proxy radius service dead (which we want to avoid except if the proxy
service itself is not available). How can we achieve a similar setup in
synchronous mode?