Radiusd-radrelayd config file naming

Peter Nixon listuser at peternixon.net
Mon Oct 2 12:01:41 CEST 2006

On Mon 02 Oct 2006 12:48, Nicolas Baradakis wrote:
> Peter Nixon wrote:
> > The attached 2 line patch makes radiusd load the config file matching the
> > name that it is called with making the -n option unnecessary in many
> > cases. This makes things simpler and makes "startproc" and family much
> > simpler to use with radiusd.
> >
> > Example use:
> >
> > symlink radiusd to radrelay and then run radrelay and it will autoload
> > radrelay.conf
> >
> > The -n command line option still overrides config file so everyone should
> > be happy.
> >
> > If no-one has any complaints I plan to apply this to cvs head.
>
> That's a problem when the binary isn't named "radiusd". In Debian for
> example the binary is renamed "freeradius", so the FreeRADIUS package
> doesn't conflict with "radiusd-cistron", "radiusd-livingston", etc.
>
> With this patch either the "-n" option becomes mandatory, or you must
> rename the config file. This is guaranteed to break every existing
> Debian installation.

OK. I suspected that debian did something like this.

My next suggestion for 2.0 was actually going to be that we
rename "radiusd.conf" to "freeradius.conf" (or freeradiusd.conf)
and "etc/raddb" to "etc/freeradius" as default. Does this suit you? (A simple
rename of radiusd.conf on upgrade is not particularly difficult, given that
many options on the config file have also changed)

Our default prefix should probably change from /usr/local to /opt/freeradius/
also in keeping with LSB. (Although I understand that this may be a slightly
controversal change)

Cheers
--

Peter Nixon