Freeradius-Devel Digest, Vol 18, Issue 3

Stephen Gran steve at lobefin.net
Wed Oct 4 11:36:53 CEST 2006

On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 09:01:14AM +0200, Valts Mazurs said:
> See comments below:
>
> >In case no one else decides to chime in here with sanity and reason...
> > /usr/local is the "right" place for default installation - not only
> >because it's the right place (and it definitely is), but because that
> >is where it's been thus far and people have gotten used to it.  If
> >some third party decides to repackage freeradius to confirm to their
> >own fly-by-night naming convension, they should be the ones
> >responsible for apologizing to their userbase and fixing the bugs that
> >arise as a result of the transition.  Developer time is never well
> >spent on fixing bugs associated with such useless operations as
> >renaming config files or moving paths.  Plus, there are plenty of
> >Solaris, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and NetBSD boxes out there that very
> >happily run freeradius out of /usr/local, why force some stupid linux
> >convention on them?
>
> I totally agree with you. Since freeradius is not meant to run only on
> Linux, sticking to weird linux-only standard would be stupid idea.

Well, the FHS is not Linux specific.  Much of the add on software for
the Solaris boxes I admin already puts itself under /opt.  That being
said, /usr/local is probably the right place for freeradius to default
to, IMHO.  /opt is for third party applications that are already
bundled and ready to install (an acroread self-extracting installer or
something, e.g.).  /usr/local has always been the place for the admin
to put their own locally compiled software, so it should probably stay
as the default install path.
|  Stephen Gran                  | Now I lay me down to sleep I hear the   |
|  steve at lobefin.net             | sirens in the street All my dreams are  |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | made of chrome I have no way to get     |
|                                | back home - Tom Waits                   |