Radiusd-radrelayd config file naming

Stephen Gran steve at lobefin.net
Wed Oct 11 23:44:32 CEST 2006

On Wed, Oct 11, 2006 at 10:48:23AM -0600, Guy Fraser said:
> On Mon, 2006-10-02 at 13:01 +0300, Peter Nixon wrote:
> >
> > Our default prefix should probably change from /usr/local to
> > /opt/freeradius/ also in keeping with LSB. (Although I understand
> > that this may be a slightly controversal change)
>
> Why wreck a good thing!
>
> /usr/local is the BSD standard.  I have no idea why LSB did not stay
> with the BSD standards.

It actually did, at least in this instance.  The rule of thumb is
distros go in /usr/{s,}bin, '3rd part software suites' (think loads of
java and marketing speak - oracle, for instance) live under
/opt/$package, and /usr/local is for local admin installed software.
/usr/local seems to perfectly describe the normal target audience of
freeradius, so I would think it's perfect where it is.  If a '3rd party'
wants to come along and provide a fully integrated, web2.1-ready, blah
blah radius solution and charge you lots of money for the priviledge,
that should definitely go under /opt.  But I don't think that's the goal
or the distribution method here.
|  Stephen Gran                  | A friend is a present you give          |
|  steve at lobefin.net             | yourself.   -- Robert Louis Stevenson   |