radrelay in 1.1.x and in 2.x

Geoffroy Arnoud garnoud at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Mar 8 10:21:12 CET 2007

Hi all,

I have a question regarding radrelay.

There's a program named radrelay in branch_1_1 and there's a way of launching FreeRADIUS in HEAD that is called 'radrelay'.

It seems that the difference between them is that radrelay program disappeared to be merged with radiusd.

Are the behaviours of radrelay program and radiusd/radrelay different. It seems that radrelay program sends the request to only one radius server until it gets a response and that the requests are sent to the same server.
For radiusd/radrelay, it seems that the behaviour is configurable with modules and so on, but, is the proxy behaviour different?

My problem is that I would like to send accounting requests the more reliably as possible. I mean that if I have 3 remote servers for a given realm and that at east one is available, I want my accounting request to be sent to the alive server. FreeRADIUS could try the first remote server, if dead, try the second server, if dead try the last server...

For accounting, this has 2 main advantages:
- If at least one remote server is up, the request is delivered
- If several remote servers are dead, they are all marked dead with only one accounting request

For authentication request, our position is that synchronous proxy is the best approach - given that dead server timers can evolve to become very flexible (per NAS, based on RADIUS request content...).
Maybe this is not very complicated to implement, with a well written module and a small modification of proxy code in request_list.c?