HUP handling: a thought

Frank Cusack fcusack at fcusack.com
Wed May 2 23:44:34 CEST 2007

On May 2, 2007 10:55:57 AM +0200 Alan DeKok <aland at deployingradius.com>
wrote:
>   Let's give up on HUP entirely.  Instead, we can implement something
> like:
>
> http://www.linuxappliancedesign.com/projects/rta/
>
>   I like the idea of configuration via SQL,

I hate the idea of requiring SQL to configure the server.  It's another
dependency, one that is complex.  It makes inspection of the current
config difficult, and complicates config mgmt.

Now then, if the config is dynamic via SQL, how's that different than
having it dynamic via a signal?  You will have to do all the same setup,
teardown and run all current transactions to completion while starting
new transactions under a new configuration anyway.

-frank