HUP handling: a thought

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu May 3 08:10:29 CEST 2007

Peter Nixon wrote:
> Hmm.. Well, I guess you could just ignore the signal, but doing a restart on
> HUP would seems pretty trivial to do (please correct me if I'm wrong), and
> would keep things unsurprising to newcomers..

  Yes, it's trivial to do.  Yes, it has issues.

  If you're proxying, it's OK to lose state on all accounting packets,
as the NAS will retransmit, and the home server will manage duplicates.
 It's not OK to lose state on all authentication packets, as you may
process the same login twice, OR you may discard the users ongoing EAP
session.

  If you're not doing EAP, or if you can manage the duplicate login
problem, re-execing on HUP is OK.

  I would prefer a *clean* solution where It Just Works.  Discarding
traffic is not nice, especially if a little bit of coding may avoid that
problem.