Does free radius support diameter? make it support diameter via modified the source code?

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Nov 13 08:01:08 CET 2007

Liangliang Guo wrote:
> Does anybody know whether free radius support diameter or not(as far as
> I know it does not).If not supported, is there a way to make it support
> the diameter via modifying the souce codes or what else? Is it a tough
> job or an easy one,how much efforts shall be made?

  FreeRADIUS doesn't support Diameter, and won't ever support Diameter.
 Diameter is a huge, complex protocol that has all sorts of wild
requirements.

  See OpenDiameter for an implementation of the *protocol*.  But it
doesn't build (last I checked) on newer systems, and it doesn't include
a server that does anything.  That is, FreeRADIUS includes SQL, LDAP,
etc. plugins, and OpenDiameter has none of that.