rlm_sqlippool and libtool issues on Debian, and a possible improvement

Paul TBBle Hampson Paul.Hampson at Pobox.com
Sat Nov 17 16:41:18 CET 2007

Hello list, long time no read.

I've just submitted to the relevant Debian bug a patch against
1.1.7's rlm_sqlippool which indirects all the functions called
from rlm_sql via lt_dlsym'd pointers. This prevents the symbol
(in)visibility issue we are having here due to lack of support
for RTLD_GLOBAL.

Having now just flicked back a few months on the list, it seems
the 1.1 tree is nearly finished in favour of the 2.0 tree, so I
was wondering firstly if anyone wanted that patch against 1.1.7,
or a version ported to 2.0.0 (although I'm not in a position to
test a 2.0.0 version beyond it starting up OK).

Further, both the 1.1.7 and 2.0.0 rlm_sqlippool modules output
"database query error" when something goes wrong, and I think
it'd be really handy to have it output the sql_error() result
as well, since I just personally learnt the hard way that 1142
is MySQL for "permission error".

The 1.1.7 rlm_sqlippool indirection patch is at [1], and a port to 2.0.0
should be pretty easy, and I'm happy to knock up a quick patch for the
sql_error if the module owner doesn't have the time, although as I say
I'm not in a position to test them.

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?msg=31;filename=10-rejig-sqlippool-using-lt-dlsym.dpatch;att=1;bug=448699

By the by, I wonder if sqlcounter has the same linking issue? It doesn't
have a Debian bug open, but that might as easily mean no one is using
the module to have noticed the issue.

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, B.Sc, LPI, MCSE
Very-later-year Asian Studies student, ANU
Paul.Hampson at Pobox.com

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.
 -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.1/au/