upgrade path for distributions

Peter Nixon listuser at peternixon.net
Sun Sep 2 14:45:12 CEST 2007

On Sun 02 Sep 2007, Nicolas Baradakis wrote:
> Alan DeKok wrote:
> > Stephen Gran wrote:
> > > This makes me feel like the right upgrade path for distributions is to
> > > ship the new version as freeradius2 (complete with /etc/freeradius2,
> > > /usr/sbin/freeradius2, and so on).  This would allow admins to
> > > coinstall the two versions, and plan an orderly migration, rather than
> > > just break the existing setup.
> >
> >   I understand... but it's pretty awkward.  How is this handled for
> > other packages?
>
> Debian has two packages "apache" and "apache2". (among other examples)

Yes. SUSE handles things in a similar manner.

I suggest however that this time around we solve the problem by renaming
to "freeradius-server" given that we now have a "freeradius-client".

This doesn't solve the issue of having version 1.x and 2.x installed side by
side, but at least it means that there is not a package name conflict.

Regards

--

Peter Nixon
http://peternixon.net/