Using X.509 Cert. subject and issuer for authorization with EAP-TLS

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Sat Apr 12 17:41:44 CEST 2008

Arnaud Ebalard wrote:
> I am very curious to see how/if you would use the Radius User-Name to do
> that, and how you would provide a strong association between attributes
> and real identity (i.e. certificate and ability to use associated
> private key).

  Yes, I would use the User-Name for VLAN assignment.  I would also use
check_cert_cn to be sure that they didn't lie about the User-Name.

  If they lie, check_cert_cn rejects them.  If they don't lie, they get
put in the correct VLAN.

> alice   Auth-Type == EAP, EAP-Type == EAP-TLS
>         Reply-Message = "Hello, Alice.",

  You are mixing multiple policies.  This is a bad idea.  If you want to
enforce that only EAP-TLS is being used, then do that.  As a separate
step, perform VLAN assignment.

> DEFAULT  Auth-Type := Reject

  The server automatically rejects unknown users.  You do NOT need this
line.

> The trick presented in previous example could be avoided if the
> authorization and setting of RADIUS attributes could be made based on
> the content of the certificate (CN, OU, ...).

  As always, patches are welcome.

>> The RADIUS User-Name is almost irrelevant.
>
> Yes, that's the point. So, how can user specific attributes be set in
> the Access-Accept? RADIUS User-Name is the only *RADIUS* element that
> gives a clue about the user.

  The server lets you create policies on non-RADIUS elements, too.
That's why it integrates with LDAP and SQL databases.  If you need to
check more than the CN of the cert, write a patch.

>>   An attacker *can't* just copy the certificate and expect to get
>> authenticated.  The EAP-TLS designers know a little bit about what
>> they're doing.
>
> I know that perfectly. Just consider my previous example and show me a
> simple way to be sure that alice will not be able to be put in bob's
> VLAN.

  You use check_cert_cn?  That's why it exists...

> Either you consider all users with a certificate (and associate key)
> equal (no attribute specific to that user),

  If they all have the SAME certificate and key, then YES, they are
identical.  If they have seperate certs && keys, then the CN's are
different.

> or you MUST use
> check_cert_cn in relation with the RADIUS User-Name.

  Which is why it's there.  Honestly, I don't see why you're so shocked
about it.  You seem to be saying that check_cert_cn is a bad idea,
because you have to *use* it to prevent people from lying.

  Well... the "User-Password" attribute has exactly the same properties.
 If you don't check it, people might lie, and get authenticated.  Oh no!