How server_random is generated

Jagadish jagadish.nadimpalli at oneconvergence.com
Thu Feb 7 08:23:01 CET 2008

Hi,

I am new to this mailing list. I started using free radius server. I am
using EAP-TLS. I want to know how "server_random" is generated in free
radius source code.
I went through the source code.  In eaptls_gen_mppe_keys() function,
"client_random " and "server_random" are passed as seed to PRF function.
I think "client_random" is obtained from "client Hello" packet from
supplicant(client). But where from  "server_random" is obtained in the
source code?
One more thing I found was SSL_read() function is called in
tls_handshake_recv() function(In tls.c file). I added debugs to print
"client_random" and "server_random " before SSL_read() function and
after SSL_read() function. The random values were  printed after the
SSL_read() function is called.
Is this function does fill the server_random variable?
Please help me in resolving this.

thanks in advance,
Jagadish