Add radius server hostname to tickets

Alexander Clouter alex at digriz.org.uk
Fri Apr 10 00:00:45 CEST 2009

Alan DeKok <aland at deployingradius.com> wrote:
> Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:
>>>   Why not just statically configure the hostname in radiusd.conf?
>>
>> Because that makes it harder to share identical configuration among
>> several servers?
>
>  <grumble>  I hate it when people affect my delusions with reality.
>
>  Ok... this is something which should be addressed.  The simplest thing
> maybe to update the configuration parser to allow it to environment
> variables, e.g. $HOSTNAME, or something similar.

Yeah, then instead of putting your customisations in the config file you
are hacking something horrible like /etc/init.d/freeradius instead. :-/

Eugh.

> Suggestions?

Unsure how much of a ball-ache it would be but I would suggest a C-esque
'static' RADIUS attribute that is primed in 'instantiate'[1]; don't make
it read-only as someone might want to do something crazy and interesting
with it.

Of course for logging which RADIUS server handled the result, I ask my
central logging servers (in my case SQL) to automatically fill in a
field with the SQL client's IP (I make it part of the table
schema)...aka the RADIUS server logging a particular request.

Bah, maybe that's just how I roll my dice.

Cheers

[1] people can then use 'exec' when priming to extract external stuff

--
Alexander Clouter
.sigmonster says: Q:	Why did the WASP cross the road?