Free Radius performance variation

Alan Buxey A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Wed Dec 16 15:17:30 CET 2009

Hi,

> I have tried PAP Authentication using users file and users stored in PGSQL Database.
> With the users file Iam getting 125 auths/sec and 80auths/sec for 1000 and 10000 users respectively.
> With SQL database the figures are 105 auths/sec and 70 auths/sec for 1000 and 10000 users respectively.
> My query is why there is no consistency in auths/sec between 1000 and 10000 users and how to make it consistent or atleast nearby figures.

for users file you might get better performance moving to the 'fastusers' module which hashes
the entries?

for the SQL - if you have more records then it takes longer to find entries in the database!
this is basic database stuff - you need to index the required columns that you want good results
from - recommend douglas and douglas postgres book - published by Developers library - or
just the main posgres documentation from their site. this isnt a FreeRADIUS problem

alan