FreeRadius msg processing rate

Sourav Chakraborty sourav.chakraborty at rebaca.com
Tue Feb 3 10:17:31 CET 2009

Hello,
I have configured FreeRadius server with MySQL.I bombarded the server with Radius Accounting START and STOP msgs randomly with 178461 msgs in 1 minute(~3000 msgs/sec).I got response back of 23658 msgs.I have noted the UDP msg stats using (netstat -s).They are as below--
      67137 packets received
      0 packets to unknown port received
      111680 packet receive errors
      23710 packets sent
Note that the initial counts were all 0.

>From the stats it seems that --
packets received + packet receive errors = ~msgs sent
packets sent = ~response msgs received
N.B:- the small anomalies in the counts may be due to unprocessed msgs in the socket buffers.

In other words though the msg sending rate was ~3000 msgs/sec,the msg processing rate was ~400 msgs/sec.

Can you comment on this?We need to process over 3000 msgs/sec.So is FreeRadius with MySQL a right choice?Please suggest.

Thanks and Regards
Sourav