Accounting-Request packets

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu Jan 22 17:47:11 CET 2009

Mark Dennehy wrote:
> 1) Can a radius accounting session get the Start message from one host
> and the Stop message from another?

  It's not forbidden (surprisingly enough).  But it's certainly
unexpected, and happens very rarely (i.e. never) in real systems.

> 2) I've got wireshark showing incoming radius messages on a box here;
> but freeradius -X isn't showing them being spotted;

  Then they're not showing up on the socket freeradius is using.
There's likely a firewall in the way, or SELinux.

> if the a-v pairs
> weren't spot on, would if just silently discard the packets? Would it
> not even log that malformed packets were received?

  It logs nearly everything in debugging mode, including all packets
it's discarding.