2.1.8 and 2.2.0

Alexander Clouter alex at digriz.org.uk
Thu Oct 22 22:42:43 CEST 2009

Alan DeKok <aland at deployingradius.com> wrote:

> Alan Buxey wrote:
>
>> we already have 2 versions that people get confused and want support on..
>
>  Version numbers keep going up, not down.
>
>> however, i would be happy to have 2.1.8 and 2.2.0 for the short term - because
>> 2.1.x train is one that everyone is familiar with and works in the 2.1.x way
>> where-as - as you say, 2.2.x will have new features, methods etc - it would
>> make sense , then to say 2.1.8 for the small upgraders and 2.2.x for those wanting
>> the new features/methods etc.   ..and can we say goodbye to all 1.x 'support' ? :-)
>
>  Ok.... We can do 2.1.8 with minor changes over 2.1.7.  Then, 2.2.0
> with major changes (TCP, etc.)

So, how long before I can type 'make menuconfig' eh? :)

I am personally for a single version but with some ifdef uglyness for
experimental bits that is enabled by default.  If people want different
'trains' then they could just learn how to use git and be done with
it....at least they can then use 'git bisect' too.

Cheers

--
Alexander Clouter
.sigmonster says: Never argue with a woman when she's tired -- or rested.