Client-Short-Name vs. Client-Shortname vs. FreeRADIUS-Client-Shortname

Joe Maimon jmaimon at ttec.com
Tue Sep 22 19:24:18 CEST 2009

I have been using Client-Short-Name (local patch) in users/hints/policy
matching for quite some time.

Basically I use it to send appropriate attributes or to rewrite reply
attributes based on who the client is, and shortname fits my bill
because I can use regex matching for wide ranges of properly named clients.

I am aware that config expansion is supposed to allow me to use any
other arbitrary tag from the configuration for this purpose (please
advise whether this is indeed the case and the recommended approach) but
this way has been working fairly well for quite some time for me.

Barring a few patch edits to accommodate changing internal dictionary
numbers it has been working fine.

Recently I noticed that there are similarly named attributes part of
stock source.

Client-Shortname and FreeRADIUS-Client-Shortname

However, matching does not seem to work properly with Client-Shortname
and both FreeRADIUS-Client-Shortname and my own Client-Short-Name gives
me this fatal error on startup with latest git

/etc/freeradius/users.jnet[54]: Parse error (check) for entry DEFAULT:
Invalid octet string "localhost" for attribute name
"FreeRADIUS-Client-Shortname"