debugging tip

Alexander Clouter alex at digriz.org.uk
Wed Sep 23 16:26:03 CEST 2009

Joe Maimon <jmaimon at ttec.com> wrote:

> Still feeling stupid.
>
> root at jmdeb01:/tmp# LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/debug gdb freeradius
> GNU gdb (GDB) 6.8.50.20090628-cvs-debian
> License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later
> <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
> There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show copying"
> and "show warranty" for details.
> This GDB was configured as "i486-linux-gnu".
> For bug reporting instructions, please see:
> <http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/bugs/>...
> (no debugging symbols found)
> (gdb)

No idea why but my git sourced FreeRADIUS debugging package is
'lightweight':
----
garibaldi:/home/ac56# dpkg -L freeradius-dbg
/.
/usr
/usr/share
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/freeradius-dbg
/usr/share/doc/freeradius-dbg/copyright
/usr/share/doc/freeradius-dbg/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/freeradius-dbg/changelog.gz
----

Probably because I'm building it with[1]:
----
DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS='nostrip debug noopt' MFLAGS='-DIE_LIBTOOL_DIE' debuild
----

I'm guessing if you drop the 'debug' parameter, it might start
working....not really worth bothering I would say.

Also, we seem to be running different gdb versions...I'm guessing you
are not running Debian 'lenny' :)

Cheers

[1] after removing libtool/libltdl3-dev from debian/control and the
	'--with-system-libtool --disable-ltdl-install' from debian/rules

--
Alexander Clouter
.sigmonster says:   Why don't you pair `em up in threes? -Yogi Berra