contributions to client

Lewis Adam-VNQM87 VNQM87 at motorola.com
Wed Apr 21 13:39:52 CEST 2010

Hi,
 while I cannot offer any advice, I am in a similar situation in that I
am trying to get the client code to work and am fixing problems (e.g.
missing Message-authenticator and support for CHAP) as I find them.

Maybe those in charge can offer some guidelines about the direction the
client code is going in.

As I see it, freeRADIUS has 2 different and unrelated solutions for
providing client functionality.
1. freeradius-client
2. radclient which is provided as part of freeradius-server

As freeradius-client seems to offer a more complete client
implementation, I have found myself using it as a base and then grafting
on fixes from (what looks like) the more recent radclient.

There are many differences between the underlying mechanisms and
structures used by the 2 code bases which makes porting that much more
time-consuming.

So, is there a plan for freeradius-client or at least a preferred
direction? Is there an aim to make the code bases more consistent?
Radclient definitely seems to have some useful ideas that could be
re-used.

Adam.