pair* APIs

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Jun 24 11:53:31 CEST 2011

Phil Mayers wrote:
> I don't know the background, sorry. It's only recently I've looked at
> the server code code (as opposed to digging into the source for
> rlm_whatever, which I do a lot to find out how the things actually
> behave in edge cases). Alan can probably comment.

  The stuff in src/lib/ is intended to be used by RADIUS clients and
servers.  The code in src/main is only for the server.  That includes
things like callbacks, module registration, etc.

> I do know that some of the seemingly duplicate API points do subtly
> different things. It's probable they could be rationalised, although the
> resulting API calls might end up with "flags" arguments to control the
> behaviour, which might be worse, not better. You can argue that putting
> the behaviour in the function name is a lot more obvious than in a
> "flags" bitmask.

  It's more than that.  Clients need basic simple APIs.  Servers need
complex APIs.  Merging the two is hard.

> What do we think about the various API doc tool e.g. Doxygen? It might
> make navigating the source easier for people unfamiliar with it.

  That would be wonderful.