Build system / win32

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Sat Jun 25 23:24:31 CEST 2011

So...

There was some discussion last week on the JANET-ROAMING list which
culminated in several people expressing a desire for a native windows
version of FreeRADIUS.

I spent a bit of time this weekend with the mingw32 cross-compiler and
pthread/openssl cross-compiled libraries, and it does look like this
might be possible. It will have a limit of 63 sockets because of the way
select() works on Windows, and it'll need some slight portability
tweaks, but the basic concept is sound; I've got a version that will
start up and parse the config file...

...unfortunately that's as far as it'll get, because the build has
trouble generating the various shared libraries in DLL form, namely
libfreeradius-radius and libfreeradius-eap, as well as the rlm_xx.

The main reason seems to be the build system; If you have a fully
autoconf/automake and libtool-ised source base, the cross-compile seems
to work this all out for you, but in the case of FreeRADIUS there seem
to be a mix - autoconf is used, but automake isn't and the libtool stuff
seems to be hand-crafted to work around the various bugs it's had?

Before I spend any more time on this - what's the future of the build
system? I'm only passingly familiar with autotools, but if we want to
keep it, I'm happy to take a look?

If on the other hand the desire is to junk it (and in particular
libtool) then there's no point spending any time on it, and I'll try a
different approach (possibly a hand-crafted makefile.mingw32)

Cheers,
Phil