LDAP timeouts during failure conditions

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Wed Jun 29 19:48:25 CEST 2011

On 06/29/2011 12:59 PM, Phil Mayers wrote:

Glad to see someone tackling the LDAP code. This comment is beyond the
connection issue, but from working with rlm_ldap in the past it seemed
to me the implementation was a bit "crufty", probably the result of
incremental evolution by multiple parties over time (no criticism, just
an observation). I kinda think it might be worthwhile to start with a
clean slate, write down the requirements for the module and write it
cleanly from scratch to match the requirements.

Now here is the silly egregious part of this comment I have to apologize
for, while I could technically do the work or contribute to it (I work
in a group dedicated to identity/authentication solutions based on LDAP,
Kerberos & PKI) I am so swamped with work at the moment I couldn't
volunteer, sorry :-(

>    * it doesn't touch the eDir code - I don't have a way to test it

Perhaps a bit off topic for this discussion, but I always thought it was
dubious to have special code for a specific LDAP server in FreeRADIUS. I
wonder if it should be removed and just stick with the standardized LDAP
API.  If there was a strong argument for server specific logic perhaps
LDAP should follow the SQL model with a generic LDAP module and driver
specific sub-modules.

Side comment on server models:

Sorry, forgot who said this in the last couple of days, but they
endorsed the event loop driven asynchronous model. After working for
many years on a variety of servers I too have come to believe event loop
driven architectures are superior in contrast to forking children,
spawning threads, etc. Anything we've written recently follows the event
loop model. It's not perfect by any means but it gets rid of a lot of
nasty problems and IMHO the resulting code simplier and easier to
understand, which means less bugs. It's too big a change for FreeRADIUS
but I thought I would at least endorse the previous comment.

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>

Looking to carve out IT costs?
www.redhat.com/carveoutcosts/