how to add MSCHAPV2 Retry Max

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue May 10 19:58:32 CEST 2011

John.Hayward at wheaton.edu wrote:
> Free Radius Developers,
>
> Can someone point me to how to:
> 1) add a configuration value (the retry count allowed).

  Add an "int" value to the module config.  There are tons of examples
of this in the server source.

> 2) add a state value associated with a session (current retry count).

  Use a DB.

  And once you use a DB, the "max retry" value might as well be
hard-coded in the queries.

> That issue aside I would like to implement a retry count so that if say
> a retry count of 3 the user would be presented with at most 3 "Re-enter
> Credentials" dialog box before having the client go into a different
> mode where it fails and then gives the user a chance to enter user name
> and password.

  Storing data for (potentially) 100's of 1000's of users means "use a DB".

  My $0.02 is to write a Perl script to implement the logic, and use
rlm_perl.